CrescentCare Legal Services (formerly AIDSLaw of Louisiana, Inc.) provides free civil legal aid to income eligible persons in Louisiana with legal issues involving matters related to or arising from their HIV status. Persons living with HIV/AIDS, as well as their loved ones, face a variety of problems requiring the assistance of legal professionals with experience in various areas of the law. Without the help of CCLS attorneys, unmet legal needs would negatively impact clients’ health. Many of our clients would face the loss of family, food, shelter, income, medical care as well as custody of children and personal safety.
In 2012, AIDSLaw merged with NO/AIDS Task Force d.b.a. CrescentCare. With offices in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, CrescentCare Legal Services is now a program of CrescentCare, a Federally Qualified Health Center.
Individuals affected by HIV disease, both those who are infected, as well as their loved ones, face a variety of problems requiring the assistance of legal professionals with experience in various areas of the law. The services we provide to assist with these problems include:
- Last Will and Testament
- Living Will
- Durable Medical Power of Attorney
- Durable General Power of Attorney
- Burial Instructions
- Simple Succession Matters:
- Advise executors and beneficiaries on succession process to probate a deceased client’s Last Will and Testament, or otherwise receive the client’s property.
- Securing Public Benefits
- Social Security Appeals
- Veterans Benefits
- Benefits Overpayments
- Food Stamps
- SSI Disability
- Medicaid & Health Insurance
- Job Terminations/Wage Claims
- Protection of Privacy
- Unauthorized disclosure of protected health information (PHI)
- Violation of confidentiality rights
- Counsel, advice and education on criminalization laws for intentional exposure to HIV/AIDS.
- Fight Discrimination in Employment. Housing, Insurance, Medical Care, Education, Benefits
- Family Law
- Public Accomodations
- Consumer Protection
- Debt Collection and Harassment
- Predatory Lending
- Foreclosure Prevention/Defense
- Unfair Sales Practices
- Fraud and Identity Theft
- Notarial Services
- Affidavit of Income
- Affidavit of Residency
- Provisional Custody by Mandate
Legal Services – 2017 By the Numbers:
Litigation • Advocacy • Education
- 4 discrimination cases settled
- 2 cases filed in state court
- 5 cases filed in federal court
9 successful appeals
107 financial coaching referrals
Economic Impact of Our Work in 2017
- $54,000 settlement funds to clients in discrimination cases
- $3800 attorneys fees
- $76,210 SS benefits backpay
- $250,000 home equity saved
- $28,000 liability avoided in predatory lending and collections defense
- Tax debt resolved in partnership with SLLS – LITC.
- $15,000 settled for $775
- $5,183 total mthly SS benefits
- $1,150 unemployment benefits
Services Provided in 2017
- Unduplicated Clients Served – 716
- Total Encounters: 8,031
- Units of Service – 18,142
Case Statistics (3/1/17 – 2/28/18)
- 523 new files opened
- 405 closed
- 119 open cases
Outreach & Education
Community legal education is a major component of our goal to help persons living with HIV/AIDS understand their rights and responsibilities in a broad range of areas, such as consumer injustice, discrimination, HIPPA, housing, public benefits, criminalization and stigma, health care and other areas of law.
The community outreach component of CrescentCare Legal Services can benefit yourorganization, clients and members in a number of ways:
- We can send speakers to your organization to speak on any of the topics within our priorities.
- We can sit at tables during your events and provide information and handouts to the attendees.
- We can provide you or your organization with pamphlets and handouts about many legal topics.
- We can send you or your organization a brochure about the services we provide.
If you would like someone from CrescentCare Legal Services to visit and speak to your agency or group about our services or any specific area of interest within our priorities, please call our New Orleans office at 504-821-2601 ext. 794.
Hours and Locations
New Orleans Office:
MON-FRI : 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
TUE & THU: Walk in
2601 Tulane Ave. Suite 500
New Orleans, LA 701119
504-821-2601 ext. 794.
Baton Rouge Office:
MON-FRI: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
By appointment only
4550 North Boulevard, Suite 227
Baton Rouge, LA 70806